Woking V Torquay United 22nd November 2008 Nov 23, 2008 0:25:46 GMT
Post by tufc01 on Nov 23, 2008 0:25:46 GMT
Nov 22, 2008 18:43:24 GMT @ David Graham's Eighth Pint said:
Short trip for me today, only 20 minutes up the road.
How Woking took a point from this I will never know. [glow=yellow,2,300]Nicholson was at fault for the first goal[/glow]. It almost seemed as if he stepped aside to allow the Woking player in. His shot was fumbled by Bevan and Marum couldn't miss. Moments later, a speculative shot from the edge of the area took a huge deflection and suddenly we were 2-0 down.
We were unlucky to go in two-down at the break. Carayol [glow=Yellow,2,300]was superb all day and some blistering crosses [/glow]into the box really should have been tucked away.
The Gulls came out for the second half and they were fired up. Three or four good chances passed us by and it really looked like it was going to be one of those days.
Then the turning point of the game; Woking broke and Marum was through on goal. [glow=yellow,2,300]Mansell pulled off an unbelievable saving tackle[/glow] but the ball dropped to Williams who blazed over from 10 yards. 3-0 and it was game over.
Minutes later, a quality free kick into the box was tucked home by Benyon. Players like Sills - who had been largely unproductive and, frankly, lazy - suddenly looked up for it and we didn't have to wait long for the equaliser. A fantastic move ended with a ball into Stevens feet. Great touch to control, fantastic touch to finish and no one would have bet against us going on to win from there.
However, we pushed and pushed but just couldn't find that killer finish. Carayol was put through on goal and drew a great save from an otherwise dodgy looking goalkeeper.
I normally defend referees to the hilt, but [glow=yellow,2,300]our official was very poor today. We probably should have had two penalties today[/glow]. The first one, their defender was all over Sills. It would have been soft, but when he committed the same offence outside the area, it was given! The second appeal was a stonewall spot-kick. Benyon controlled it well, and just as he looked like he was going to turn the defender inside-out, he was wiped out from behind.
I'm happy with a point but on reflection we really should have taken all three. I've said it time and time again, but three months ago we would have rolled over and been slaughtered.
There was a nice moment before kick-off when Toddy came over to give us a round of applause. [glow=yellow,2,300]I was slightly miffed that there was no chanting of his name[/glow], but it was a lovely moment.
1. Whilst Nicholson was partly to blame for the first goal, it was a dreadful pass back/across the box that let Woking in.
2. Agree Carayol was outstanding, probably Man of the Match. He has come on leaps and bounds as the season has progressed. He looks destined for bigger things at some stage in his career, hopefully starting in League 2 with us next year.
3. That tackle saved us from going 3 nil down, it was awesome. I didnt realise Mansell was that quick, he showed a blistering turn of pace.
4. I agree the ref was appalling today, one of the worst i have seen, mainly for the decisions he DIDN'T make, rather than the ones he did.
5. I was also slightly miffed that we didn't get a Todd chant going. I thought that might have been a nice touch. The card doing the rounds was made/brought by Paul Bastard i believe, again a nice touch.